Every year, the Quilters create a quilt for charity to be raffled at the Islay show. To date we have raised over £12,000 for local causes!
This year’s design is a striking and colourful piece with Islay at its heart. Tickets are available for just £1 from The Shop in Islay House Square, from members, or on Show Day itself. It’s a fantastic opportunity to own a piece of Islay history, as well as raise money for local causes.
When the Islay Quilters were formed, one of the ideas that seemed to be in everyone’s mind, apart from learning new techniques and having fun, was to make a quilt each year to raffle for a local charity. This is now something that we have done every year (except 1997), raising very welcome and useful sums of money to help local Islay and Jura charities.
The pattern for the charity quilt is chosen by all the members of the group and is always a majority decision. Group members bring along a pattern they like and they are laid on the table for discussion. Over the years we have tried many different types of patterns, ranging from hand-pieced tradition to machine-pieced contemporary. We all have our own personal favourites!
Basket of Flowers
|2011 – Boxes within Boxes||2012||2013 – Hanging Garden|
2014 – S-bends
|2015 – Abandoned Hexagons||2016 – Flowers of Scotland||2017 –|
Below shows the list of recipients of money we have raised over the last ten years:
- 1993 IDEAs £350
- 1994 Comman Nam Parent £100 & Resusci Annie £100
- 1995 Islay Hospital Radio £20, Marie Curie Nurses – Islay/Jura £200
- 1996 Islay Hospital Radio £100, Arts Association £100, Marie Curie Nurses – Islay/Jura £50, Gortanvogie £50, Islay Museum £50
- 1998 MacMillan Nurses – Islay/Jura £150 & Marie Curie Nurses – Islay/Jura £150
- 1999 Islay Hospital Infusion Pump £500
- 2000 Isle of Jura Residential Care Home £400
- 2001 Rhinns Playgroup Association £400
- 2002 Islay High School Trip – Costa Rica £500
- 2003 Bowmore Boys Club £400 & Port Ellen Cyber Café £400
- 2004 Islay High School Trip – Ecuador £400 & Islay And Jura Advice Centre £400
- 2005 Rhinns Youth Group £400 & Swimming Pool Association £400
- 2006 Islay & Jura Sick Children’s Fund £350, Islay High School Overseas Project £350
- 2007 Isle of Jura Residential Care Home £100, Islay and Jura Primary Schools £500
- 2008 Scottish Ambulance Service – Islay £500
- 2009 Gortanvogie £500
- 2010 Islay & Jura Sick Children’s Fund £500
- 2011 Swimming Pool £400
- 2012 Islay Junior Gaelic Choirs £600
- 2013 Gortanvogie £400
2014 Girlguiding Islay and Jura £400
- 2015 Islay Boys Football Club £400
- 2016 Sandpiper Trust £1200
- 2017 Islay Scouts and the Ella Edgar Dancers